Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dreams do come true


Eli loves "Machines at Work" by Byron Barton, we read it everyday.


Yesterday we were awakened at 7:30am by machines at work. I guess the roots of a tree across the street were damaging a water pipe. The chain sawed the tree down, and then pulled up the stump with a back hoe. They had to replace some pipe under the street as well, and they're still at it today. I wasn't so happy about all the noise going on right outside our house, but Eli is in seventh heaven. He keeps yelling and running back and forth from the window to me just to make sure I know they're still out there. He brought me his book to show me the trucks just like the ones outside, maybe I don't want them to finish. At one point they knocked on the door to ask us to flush our toilet (which is one of Eli's favorite things to do anyways) and I thought Eli was going to have a heart attack: Real construction works were at our door!
I just wish they didn't start so early.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most fascinating thing about the construction workers. Every time they're doing anything, one guy works and the other 3 watch. At first I felt bad for the guy, but they take turns. This doesn't seem very efficient, maybe they should read Cheaper by the Dozen.

4 comments:

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

What a cute story! I love how the most simple things are exciting to little kids. It makes me take a better look at the world around.
:)

Adrianna said...

"Good enough for gov'm'nt work!" (As the saying goes). That's why, though- one working, three "supervising"....

bonny with a Y said...

haha - i LOVE cheaper by the dozen - in fact i re-read it during spring break.

Doug said...

I love seeing children's worlds "come to life" when they can match stories to real-life. I can picture Eli being so happy...