Monday, May 12, 2008

Twins




The first egg I cracked with two yolks was kind of funny, but when the second egg also had two yolks it was extraordinary. I called Adrianna and my Mom and they both said they hadn't seen two from the same carton. The next day I made bread and the egg had two yolks again. A couple of days later I made some eggs and both eggs had two yolks. So, out of a dozen eggs five had double yolks. I'm not sure how this happened, it seems unlikely eggs from the same chicken ended up in the same carton together. I started to get a little scared, wondered what they're feeding the chickens and if I should eat the eggs.

8 comments:

Jeni said...

Crazy!!! That's amazing you had 5..I think I'd start getting a little worried as well.

The Wheelers said...

Once when I was in Portland I had 2double-yolks plus a triple-yolk all in one carton, hmmm. I was kind of disturbed by it at the time. But don't worry, I've had the same phenomenon with my own "organic" chickens. My theory is that they come from young hens that have just started laying for the first time or perhaps it has something to do with the older hens starting to lay again after the winter. (But I believe they use lights in commercial egg production to keep the hens laying all winter. So, my first theory is probably better.) Anyway, you can keep eating those lucky double-yolks!

Whit said...

You scared me for a minute. I thought you were annoucing twins.

jamie t. said...

Weird. Where do you buy your eggs again. I'll be sure to avoid it :)

Alyssa said...

I would probably be wary of what they are putting in those chickens too!

Alysha said...

That is a little freaky! I have never seen double egg yolks. Hormones...

bonny with a Y said...

i would be nervous about the eggs as well

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Wow, that is weird! That chicken could've had her own reality show if those eggs had hatched!!!